I thought that instead of writing a review for The Bone Season I would try doing something like this. I’m not sure if I’ll do more but let me know what you think about it! I really do love these books and I hope this might inspire some people to pick the series up!
1. The main character is a strong female and she takes crap from no one except her mime lord. She’s learned how to survive in a world where she is constantly hunted and she is still able to have good times with her friends.
2. Even though the books look long, they are the type of books that you can just fly through. They’re also beautiful so when you’re reading them you can just pause and look at the cover before continuing to read.
3. The magic system is amazing. I love the types of magic and how they are explained/reviled only when the main character learns of them or has to talk about them. This book isn’t good if you don’t like having to think/remember certain plot points from previous books and how the magic system works. To me, this book isn’t high fantasy but it is certainly on its way to being seen as that.
4. There’s romance but it isn’t overpowering and it doesn’t seem forced at all. I like books that have a little dash of romance in it and I was really happy when I found out that this book did. If you don’t like romance then I’d still recommend this book because it’s never a big plot device.
5. It takes place in the UK! I love reading books that are set somewhere else than America. The main character is also from Ireland and I really loved the parts where Ireland is mentioned. If you like London or Ireland then this book is a really good read if you like envisioning a futuristic version of either place.